Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Need a student loan? Start filling out forms now

SAN FRANCISCO (1/23/08)--The deadline for filing student-loan application forms may be February or March, depending on the college, but it pays to get organized and gather required documents now ( Jan. 10).

Here's what students need to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA):

Social Security number;
Driver's license;
Current checking/savings statements;
2007 W-2 forms, plus records of other money earned;
2007 federal income tax return (if married, your spouse's return, too);
Parents' 2007 federal income tax return;
Current mortgage, business, farm, stock, bond, and other investment records; and
For non-U.S. citizens, alien registration or permanent resident card.

To save time, print and fill out the worksheet from the Web, then enter and save data to FAFSA on the Web.

The fastest way to submit your application: File electronically using a personal identification number (PIN) as signature. Read the electronic- signature-process requirements carefully at No data gets transmitted until you electronically sign and press the send button.

Once you transmit the application, you can check the status online, make corrections to a processed form and access other information such as your student aid report.

Remember: You don't have to wait until the deadline to file. You can apply as early as possible after Jan. 1 each year. And you'll need to file a FAFSA every school year to receive student financial aid.

courtesy of

1 comment:

Student Loans Consolidation said...

The College Loan Corporation, the eighth largest originator of federally guaranteed student loans, announced today that it would halt making loans in the federal program on March 1.